My 1-year-old has a natural talent of driving me crazy during mealtimes. Not only do I find it extremely challenging to get her to finish up her tiny half bowl portion of food, sometimes I feel that she’s a bit picky about the food that we cook for her. Oh, and don’t get me started on how we deal with her storing food in her mouth until her cheeks blow up – like a hamster!
Every now and then, I find myself searching for toddler recipes that I can whip up for her – in my efforts to make her meals look interesting but still on the healthy side. Being a full time working mum meant that I only have the weekends (or the days when I’m on leave) to experiment with her food. One of my favourite places to look for recipes is the Healthy Food For My Baby Facebook group. The mums on this group are super gung-ho when it comes to whipping up the yummiest, healthiest food for their tots. Sometimes I really wonder how they find the time to prepare all that food. It makes me feel a bit bad that I can’t do this on a daily basis for my little girl.
To mark my 1-year-old’s first foray into having rice meals, I decided to make things a little bit more fun and exciting by giving her Salmon rice balls.
For this you need:
Small chunk of Salmon
About a quarter to half bowl of rice [Japanese rice is best as it’s stickier. If this is not available, regular long grain rice will also do – just add more water so it’s more moist and sticky]
1. Cook the rice and set aside to cool.
2. Steam diced carrots and pumpkin for 20 minutes (or until cooked).
3. Heat up some butter + olive oil in a frying pan. Fry salmon chunk until slight brown. Add in onion and fry till golden brown.
4. Using a fork, mash up the salmon.
5. Put rice in a bowl, and add the steamed carrots & pumpkin, together with salmon and onion. Mix well.
6. Use a teaspoon to scoop up the rice mixture and shape it into a nice ball. Repeat this until you’ve used up all your rice mixture.
7. Serve to your feisty toddler!
Happy cooking mummies! Hope your toddler will enjoy this dish as much as mine did.