I know that I speak for most working mums when I say that we all look forward to the weekend.
For me, besides spending time with my energetic 2-year-old, weekends now also gives me the chance to destress by experimenting with new (and hopefully, yummy) dishes in the kitchen. Being big fans of pasta and spaghetti, I was looking around for some recipes to give our usual tomato-based pastas a fresh twist.
And then I stumbled upon The Domestic Goddess Wannabe’s blog, as I’ve previously worked with her on content during my previous job (Big HELLO! to Diana :] )
Her post on Spaghetti aglio olio with bacon and garlic breadcrumbs looked divine, so I quickly got to work and whip up my version of it – with several shortcuts here and there!
Hope you enjoy cooking and eating it as much as i did.
For this you will need:
Half a pack of spaghetti
1 garlic bulb
1 pack of bacon
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt to taste
2 pieces wholemeal bread
1 teaspoon chili flakes (Optional – I omitted this as I’ve got to keep the dish kid-friendly)
1. Dice garlic until fine, and chop bacon into small chunks.
2. To make the breadcrumbs, tear bread into smaller pieces and blitz it in a blender/food processor.
3. Boil spaghetti in a pot of boiling water.
4. Heat up frying pan with some olive oil, then fry bacon until crispy. Once done, scoop up the bacon bits on a plate.
5. Using the bacon oil, pour the breadcrumbs and give it a fry until it becomes brown and crispy. Scoop up and set aside.
6. Pour olive oil in pan (you’ll need more this time, to toss your spaghetti later), and fry garlic until translucent.
7. Once spaghetti is al dente, drain and pour it in the garlic olive oil in the pan. Give it a toss to coat evenly.
(Tip: If you find it too dry, add a bit of the pasta water and toss again until you achieve your desired consistency)
8. Plate the pasta and pour bacon and breadcrumbs on top. Add a dash of grated parmesan cheese – and enjoy!