So, the plan was to share an avocado with Crystabel for breakfast today – only to realise that she wouldn’t take a bite of this green, creamy superfruit! I was quite surprised to see her “pretend gag” after she obliged my request to try one small bite, as she started off her journey on solids with avocado.
Not wanting to let the other half of the avocado go to waste, I proceeded to scrape out some flesh from the middle of the other half avocado and crack an egg in it. I’ve come across various recipes for Baked Avocado with Egg every now and then, and decided that today will be the day to try it out myself!
Although the recipe called for two halves of an avocado, I only had one half left to use. But still, it worked fine.
For this you will need:
1 ripe avocado
Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 220C.
- Cut the avocado in half, and remove the pit from the centre.
- Scrape off some flesh from each half, to make room for the egg.
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper to taste.
- Place it on a baking dish, and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Make sure you scrape off enough avocado flesh from each side, or the egg will overflow onto the dish. For this, you will need to use your judgement based on how big the egg is.
- You can make this dish fancier by adding shredded cheese and bacon bits – but beware of the calories! After all, avocado is revered for its healthy fat benefits and it will be counter-productive to add on the grease.
- To make clean up easier, line your baking dish with foil. You can chuck it away with all the messes after cleaning up your plate 🙂